It’s time for another Classics Spin!
What is the spin?
It’s easy. At your blog, before next Friday, November 17th, create a post to list your choice of any twenty books that remain “to be read” on your Classics Club list.
This is your Spin List. You have to read one of these twenty books by the end of the year (details to follow). Try to challenge yourself. For example, you could list five Classics Club books you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, re-reads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
On Friday, November 17th, we’ll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by December 31, 2017. We’ll check in here in January to see who made it the whole way and finished their spin book!
My list of classics has 68 titles, (but I’ve been adding since the week when I published my initial post!) I have read 19 of those. It’s simply a matter of preference, (it’s not any imposition, I just happen to love classics, the most known ones, the least known, the robust and the light.)
This is my list:
- La Celestina, Fernando de Rojas, 1499
- Utopia, Thomas More, 1516
- Persuasion, Jane Austin, 1817
- The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1851
- Fathers and Sons, Turgenev, 1862
- Far from the Madding Crowd, Hardy, 1874 added +
- La familia de León Roch, Galdós, 1878
- Washington Square, Henry James, 1880
- Los Pazos de Ulloa, Emilia Pardo Bazán, 1886
- La muerte de Ivan Illich, Tolstoy, 1886
- The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton, 1905 added +
- The Cross, (book III in the Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy), 1922
- The Glorious Adventure, Halliburton, 1927
- To the Lighthouse, Woolf, 1927
- Gaudy Night, Dorothy Sayers, 1935 added +
- Look Back on Happiness, Knut Hamsun, 1940 added +
- The Power and the Glory, Greene, 1940 added +
- Speak Memory, Nabokov, 1951
- The Baron in the Trees, Italo Calvino, 1957 added +
- A Movable Feast, Ernest Heminway, 1964 added +
I too wonder what number and title will I get!