This post is written from the notes I took last Sunday morning. Many ask or may want to know about my faith and consequently if I attend any congregation, what congregation it is, and why. First let me say that I believe the Bible to be God’s inspired word. (1 Cor 2:12-13, 2 Timothy 3:16–17), That implies that I accept the Bible as the only guide for our actions and guidance for those who want to be His children or who already His children strive to live a faithful life.
Since the Garden of Eden, men have shown a tendency to alter the message of God. Today many churches have become burdened down with man made traditions, failing to fulfill Christ’s plan for them. The only solution is to return to the Bible – (Amos 3:3: Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
The spirit of churches of Christ is to go back beyond denominations to the purity and simplicity of the 1st century church. (Gal. 1:6-9; Rev. 22: 18-19). To walk in agreement with God and be united, it has to be on what God has said, in accordance with the Gospel.
God’s church does not have overseeing boards, organizations, or conventions. God’s church in the New Testament did not have any super structure. In that regard, His Church is not a denomination.
* Each local church is self ruled and independent of all other congregations.
First century worship was very simple, it focused on participation rather than being a spectator.
* In worship we join together in singing praises to our God. Eph. 5:19. (It was hundreds of years after the first century that instruments were added to the worship service).
* We partake of the Lord’s supper each first day of the week, as did the first century church. Acts 20:7
* We give generously to our God. 1 Cor. 16:1-2
* We pray together and study His word together, as our Lord indicates in the Scriptures.
TERMS OF MEMBERSHIP IN CHURCHES OF CHRIST
Christ clearly outlines that in His word.
* Faith in Jesus, Jn 8:24
* Repentance of sins, Acts 17:30
* Confession of faith that Jesus is the Son of God, Rom 10:9
All these are not dictated or decided by the members or elders but by God.